dsm-firmenich unveils Humiome B2 – the first ‘biotic’ vitamin – at Vitafoods

Published: 29-Apr-2024

The targeted vitamin B2 delivery system is double layered to prevent premature absorption in the small intestine, and will be debuted at Vitafoods Europe 2024

dsm-firmenich, a global company in the health, nutrition and beauty sectors, has announced it will launch Humiome B2, the world’s first ‘biotic’ vitamin, at Vitafoods Europe 2024 in Geneva this May.

The novel solution is designed to ensure targeted vitamin B2 delivery to the colon, delivering prebiotic-like benefits that modulate and nourish the gut microbiome to support gut barrier integrity, immunity, mental well-being and metabolic health.

Unlike traditional B2 solutions, where the majority of vitamin B2 is absorbed in the small intestine, Humiome B2 releases approximately 90% of its vitamin B2 content in the lower intestine and colon - where 90% of the body’s microbiota reside.1 The remaining ~ 10% is utilised through absorption in the small intestine. 

This is achieved through dsm-firmenich’s IP-protected Microbiome Targeted Technology (MTT), a dual-action colon-targeted delivery system featuring a two-layer natural coating. The first coating protects the riboflavin core from the somewhat harsh stomach and small intestine environments.

The outer layer withstands digestive enzymes and low pH, while the inner layer remains intact until it reaches the colon. Once it arrives in the colon, the inner coating dissolves and releases the riboflavin to specifically nourish and support the growth of beneficial bacteria, provide detoxification and reduce reactive oxygen species.

 "As well as maximising the bioavailability of riboflavin in the colon to nourish the gut microbiome, Humiome B2 with MTT can work alongside other gut health enablers including pro-, pre- and postbiotics and human milk oligosaccharides (HMOs). The solution also offers multiple functional benefits for formulators, such as enhancing vitamin stability by protecting against humidity, light and oxygen.” said Ruedi Duss, Global Gut & Metabolic Lead at dsm-firmenich.

Humiome B2 is built on dsm-firmenich’s unique ‘ecosystems’ approach to unlocking holistic health from the gut, which aims to support and preserve the key pillars of the gut ecosystem – a healthy gut environment, keystone species, gut barrier integrity and microbiome-independent mechanisms – to maintain its natural balance and function.

The solution will initially launch in EMEA and North America, with other regions to follow.

Attendees at Vitafoods Europe 2024 can attend an in-depth session from Dr Robert E. Steinert, HNC Principal Scientist at dsm-firmenich, on the science behind Humiome B2 at the Probiotics Theatre on Tuesday, May 14, 11.30-11.55 CET.  

Visitors can also meet dsm-firmenich at booth D90 from May 14-16 to learn more about how Humiome B2 can help bring progress to life in the health and nutrition space.


You may also like